Monday, July 7, 2008

Federer the Stud, Nadal the Muggu

I am not going to put one more of those posts to predict whether Federer's era is over and nothing is for keeps for anyone etc...

I just had this arbit thought (courtesy palli, my colleague). People from IIT can relate to this more easily... Most of us junta who were not 9 pointers or more, used to take comfort in categorizing junta into muggus and studs and be happy to see only fewer junta ahead of us (big egos are more common than spectacles in IITs or IIMs). There were species called 10-pointers too. Which most of us like to think, are extinct but they keep coming up here and there. I would not even dare judge them.

So, the people who really slog their ass off no matter what subject it is, actually finish writing 2 notebooks/sem/subject..(even ones like Material Science or Business, Government and Society..) and make sure tht they get nothing less than 9/10 or 3.5/4, and dont show too much off in class are passed off as muggus. And there are others, who necessarily dont do the above but manage same grades by the end of it. They look like they are in total control of things and give an impression that it is as easy as dozing off in those classes.

Now, as I said Federer is the Stud and Nadal is the Muggu. Nadal is that fighter who common junta are irritated about (mainly because we wonder how he manages to do it but not necessarily inspire us at the same time). Federer is that stud that we hold in high esteem and feel no shame copying him.

Back to wimbledon 2008 final , I saw the Stud falter, I think more because of the Muggu's consistency and painful accuracy and control over the proceedings.

Throughout the match I had this internal fight to resist the admission -- "Muggu deserved it". But finally I had to give in. Till that match, I took comfort in the opinion that French open is more like those painful courses only sloggers could do well in, and Wimbledon more of the fundae course. Aah, the whole thing does not stand any more.

And there you go, I lose faith in one more of the few things I picked up from IIT (branding Muggus and ignoring them).




I expect a lot of potshots/brickbats for this post (well, as I said in first post, that was the intention). But anyways, let me put down a few disclaimers,

1. No offence to 9 pointers (not any bit to those were called muggus)
2. No offence to Nadal's fans, if there are any (I have to admit, I absolutely hate how he delays the proceedings during the match)
3. No offence to IITians or IIM junta (IIMians or IIMites sound woresht)

3 comments:

Lakshya said...

Now the Stud will have to ace the painful course nxt yr .... completely agree with fundaes here :)

Anonymous said...

ok you aren't the first person to talk about this.

http://skthewimp.livejournal.com/195016.html

http://skthewimp.livejournal.com/138327.html

Murkut a.k.a. Dileep said...

@wimp
mebbe thts coz u r 1 yr senior from IITM da :-)
trust me, i havent read them before i wrote... it is genuine M mentality!