Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Bike

In terms of my emotions towards things to deserve a note on, this was a long overdue. I just wanted to pour it all out for once.
I think I am a bad customer in general. I do not put enough effort to make sure I get the benefit of goods/services I paid for. After going through the continuous abuse of my reluctance to fight it out by the goods/services providers/sellers, I finally have something that I consider as one of the best purchases I have ever made.
I learned riding bike as late as 3 years back, so you can probably justify my misplaced enthusiasm for the two wheeler at this age (these days I hear someone shouting in my ear, "you are getting older"). After testing the limits of the bikes that I could borrow, I finally decided to get one for myself (a deliberation that went on for close to 3 years). You tend to raise the bar for the purchase as you wait more. Result was a decision to get supposedly one of the best available. I did a bit of research and "decided" to get an R15. My colleague suggested I take test rides of comparables before zeroing in on one, so I completed that formality too (its a formality since even I find it difficult to convince "past me" against the decision he has made).
For the last 7 months I have had the joy of
- stopping in front of a traffic police confidently (new bike, so all documents in place), even whistling if mood be...and being asked in a disappointed tone "hosa gaadiya?"
- having a friendly conversation with autowallas for directions (autowallas are much nicer if you got a pair of wheels of your own)
- taking longer routes in the excuse of not knowing the direct route or avoiding speed breakers
- getting weird compliments like "this bike is too good...for you"
- going till Mysore road just to get petrol (via Nice road)
- clocking 138 kmph on the same road
- thinking that even 200-300 km ride isn't too long and deliberating driving all the way to Kerala once (enthu ppl let me know!)
- finding ways to ride bike with a hurt ankle (move up whole left leg instead of pivoting at ankle to switch gears!)
- having a short, heavy, dark and drunkard (<40 kmpl!) friend that
1. makes me think I look better with him on the side
2. tells me that I am getting younger every time I meet him

1 comment:

Hridesh said...

"its a formality since even I find it difficult to convince past me" :D... damn man... how i wish we'd shifted into a stud house and you had a bike when i was in b'lore...